Sunday, July 18, 2010

Game Time


[Typed at SFO at approximately 10:00a.m. on 7/18/10—don’t know when I’ll be able to post it online.]

So this is it. Today is the big day. I just said farewell to my parents at security, and I’m on my way to Washington, D.C. for Peace Corps staging. I have a little bit of a heads up because Summer just went through the whole process 5 days ago, but I’m still anxious and excited.

This is how things are probably going to go down: I should be getting a roommate at the hotel where I’ll stay the night. Tomorrow I have registration and a workshop about adapting to a different culture. They give us some cash for food. The next day we do a final medical check up and take care of any remaining shots. Then we go to the airport to depart for Johannesburg, via Dakar. 17-hour flight. Ouch. We stay the night in Johannesburg before finally flying out to Antananarivo, Madagascar on July 22.

So, here’s hoping everything goes smoothly. I have to make a semi-tight connection in Chicago, but that’s all.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear from Peace Corps, Washington via email that you arrived at Antananarivo safely (this was on the 23rd). They said it would be awhile before you'd be able to get online, what with training and all.
    Love to you,
    Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete