Friday, October 22, 2010

Go Giants!


Friday, October 22, 2010

Second week of school is over. It was a little more organized/official than the first. I taught all five sections of level Seconde for 3 hours each. However, there was a little administrative drama during the week.

Apparently, more students than expected have enrolled in the Lycee this year. It was looking like they would need to form two additional sections of level Seconde (each section is 50-70 students). They wanted me to teach the English classes for these sections in addition to the five I already teach.

I came here to teach, and I’m willing to take on a little more work, but I was also told by the director of the Peace Corps Madagascar Education sector that we’re not supposed to teach more than 16 hours a week. I expressed these concerns to the proviseur of the Lycee, and he said the English teacher for level Premiere would pick up the two new sections.

However, when I ran into that English teacher at the Lycee, he shook my hand and thanked me for taking the other two sections of Seconde. I was caught off guard. I said I didn’t know I was teaching those sections. He went to speak with the proviseur.

That was Monday. When all was said and done, it turns out they only need one additional section of level Seconde, which I agreed to teach. Here’s my new schedule:

Monday
Section 2 = 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Section 5 = 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Section 3 = 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Tuesday
Section 3 = 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Section 1 = 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Section 4 = 4:30 pm. – 5:30 p.m.

Wednesday
Section 2 = 6:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.
Section 4 = 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Section 6 = 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Thursday
Section 6 = 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Section 5 = 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Section 1 = 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Friday
I’m still free!

Hopefully the weeks will start flying by now.

PCV Jonathan came into town Wednesday to take care of some business. He’s taking vacation days to travel to Nosy Be on Monday. Sunday we’re celebrating Katie M.’s birthday at Mama Peace Corps’ house with all the PCV’s in the region (Jason, Jonathan, Katie M., Katie B., Vanessa, and myself). Mama Peace Corps has an oven, which means we can bake a cake and a pizza. It’s hard to convey how much joy this will bring me. I love food. Jonathan and I are in charge of picking up the supplies to make that happen.

So, that’s my program for today, after I put this blog entry up.

Below I will try to post a photo of Ankify beach. It may not load...

2 comments:

  1. Hi -
    I am Katie M's Aunt Kathy. Wish her a happy bday for me! I sent a package to her a few weeks ago to your address for her bday. I hope she gets it!
    Best - Kathy - kathy@happyowlmedia.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Kate with an October birthday. Of course she must be awesome then. :)

    ReplyDelete